Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What in the world is going on?

Okay, so a friend sent me this article in an email, and I hope the I have sourced it right, to give credit to who originally wrote it, but this is just too much for me to keep my mouth shut on anymore.

Teen Suspended In Beating Of Special Needs Student INDUSTRY (KDKA) ― School officials in Beaver County have suspended a 17-year-old student for allegedly beating a special needs student unconscious while other students recorded the attack on their cell phones. According to witnesses, the attack happened late last week on a school bus in the parking lot of Western Beaver High School. The 16-year-old victim suffered a concussion and broken teeth in the attack. Witnesses tell KDKA that the eleventh-grader attacked the 16-year-old victim for no reason – saying the assault was not provoked in any way. Though the bus driver reportedly tried to stop the attack, the witnesses say the driver was blocked. At least 8 other students recorded the beating with the cell phone cameras. Parents say they're sickened by what happened. "It was just shocking and appalling that students would videotape it and that someone would even think about hitting someone who was disabled," Linda Lamantis told KDKA. "Our kids are being taught that this is OK, it's acceptable," Lamantis added, "that it's entertainment -- it's funny. And it's not. " Police in Industry are now investigating. Investigators are also trying to determine if some students on the bus actually went as far to bet on the "fight."
(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

I have no idea what the world is coming to, but I can tell you that when I was in school this never would have happened. I mean 95% of the stuff going on in the schools today didn't happen when I was in school, and if someone had tried them, they would have been marched to the principal's office for a paddling!
Yep, I grew up with paddling as a staple punishment, and no one ever tried anything like this. Somewhere along the way, we have lost the way.
Yes, before you start complaining, I know that there are people who take the paddling and spanking too far, past the edge of normal to abuse, but you know what, that has always been around, and taking punishment out of the schools has not lessened the numbers of abused children, in fact if memory serves me right, the latest numbers are on the rise.
The problem is that kids have no sense of right or wrong anymore, they are allowed to get away with too much, even if they are "punished" for something, the time-outs and taking away things just do not send the message that a good paddling did! I mean, look at the state of our schools. This is not the first case of a beating being taped, I think there have been at least four in the last week, and some ended up on YouTube. Enough is enough, what is it going to take for parents to start being parents again, stop trying to be your child's friend, and demnd respect, teach them right and wrong, and don't let them get away with this crap out of fear that you will hurt their feelings. This is ridiculous. We have taking all the parenting away from parents and the schools no longer have any power over children, and we have a nation full of disgruntled kids that have no idea what is right or wrong and do things like this for fun!
Enough! What is it going to take for enough people to get angry and stand up? I for one do not want any of my children to end up this way, and I refuse to pander to them in fear of damaging their egos.

No comments: